Welcoming a newborn into your family is such a wonderful time. You’ll want to remember these fleeting moments for a lifetime to come. As a Northern Virginia newborn photographer specializing in posed newborn photography, many of my clients don’t know what style of newborn photography they’d prefer and often wonder about the difference between posed and lifestyle newborn photography. Having to choose between one style over the other doesn’t come easy. Over the years I have learned to combine both styles in one newborn session, so that you, mama, don’t have to choose.
What Is Posed Newborn Photography?
What is posed newborn photography? As your Northern Virginia newborn photographer, I pose your little one in adorable positions to create beautiful newborn portraits. Timing is crucial. I recommend scheduling your newborn session 5-18 days after your little one has joined your family. At that stage they are still very sleepy and easiest to work with.
Posed newborn photography sessions usually take place in my residential studio in Leesburg, or in the comfort of your own home. Don’t worry, mama, this blog post has you covered if you need some guidance on choosing between a studio or in-home session.
Some benefits of choosing posed newborn photography include:
- Adorable baby pics.
- Controlled lighting, setting, and room temperature at the studio for your newborn photos.
- Great selection of props and accessories.
- No need to worry about a messy home! At the studio, I take care of everything for you.
What is Lifestyle Newborn Photography?
Lifestyle newborn photography is a more relaxed and natural approach to photographing newborns. Rather than posing the baby in specific positions, lifestyle newborn sessions are entirely baby led. This style typically capture newborns as they are in a more everyday environment.
Lifestyle newborn sessions typically take place in your own home or a location of your choice. Sessions captured at home add a more personal touch and comfort for both you and your baby. Though I will bring some props to use, I will also be making use of your home setting. This oftentimes includes your master bedroom, the nursery, your living room or even your backyard.
Some benefits of choosing lifestyle newborn photography include:
- More relaxed and natural images of your newborn.
- A more personal touch to your newborn images by including your home setting.
- Your newborn tends to be more comfortable and happy in their own surroundings.
- You don’t have to travel to a studio!
- You get to include family pets (if there are any).
- Easier to entertain siblings.
Posed vs Lifestyle Newborn Photography — Which Should You Choose?
New mamas are often unsure about which newborn photography style they want. If you are still on the fence about which style to choose, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you want your newborn photos to be more classic or natural?
- Do you want posed or candid shots?
- Would you feel more comfortable in your own home or in a professional studio?
- Do you want props or simple, everyday items in your newborn photos?
If you find yourself wanting it all, you’re in luck! As a Northern Virginia newborn photographer, I actually offer both options during my sessions at my studio or in your home! I’d love to talk with you about setting up a newborn photoshoot for your little one! Click the link to check out my website, get to know me, and I can’t wait to connect with you! I look forward to being your Northern Virginia newborn photographer!
Looking for some additional resources? Check these out!
- Babyproofing: What You Really Need to Focus On
- Four vital tips for decorating your nursery
- How to Get Your Newborn to Sleep